Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Are Labor Unions No Longer Viable?

I've never been a member of a labor union. Never had the need to be a member.

As I sit back and observe the current 'crisis' in the auto industry, I ponder whether or not the labor contracts and the $81.00 per hour average pay rate (so I've heard) is part of the problem.

Is there still a need for unions anymore? I ask because I see where tenured teachers (who have a union) basically have a job for life . . . whether they are good teachers or not.

I haven't heard where there is a need for them (unions) anymore. There was a time when unions served a very good purpose. Has their time passed?

Back to the auto industry . . . . look at some of the foreign automakers like Hyundai; are the autoworkers there members of a union? What about other domestically-produced 'imports?'

Have the high costs of labor contracts forced the price of cars upwards?

So I again ponder the question . . . do we need unions anymore?

- 0 -

No comments:

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.