Saturday, April 12, 2008

Beijing, China Olympics


How China was selected as a site for the Olympic Games is beyond my comprehension. I thought the purpose of the Games were to bring together FREE countries for the purpose of sports competition.

China does not fit my definition of a FREE SOCIETY! I would not have chosen China for a site for these Games.

Now I'm not saying it should be boycotted, but if other countries decide to not attend for political purposes, that would be fine with me - BUT let's consider these young competitors who have trained most of their lives to even have a spot on their team. I say let the Olympians make up their own mind whether they choose to participate. We should not deter them in their quest for Olympic glory.

However, the United States SHOULD NOT send any official representative to attend this event. Nor should any commercial enterprise be a sponsor.

I support our Olympians in their goal of the Gold, Silver and Bronze accomplishments, but in NO WAY do I support a country which has free reign over the lives of their citizens.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out. I pray their will be no bloodshed. Let's not have a replay of the 1972 Munich Games.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.