Wednesday, April 2, 2008

VETeran's Administration, A Vet's Perspective

I'm wondering if any anytime during my lifespan the Veteran's Administration will look at their name and realize that the first part of their name is VETERAN!

I served my country without any hesitation on my part - as a matter of record - I ENLISTED - I VOLUNTEERED FOR SERVICE. But when it comes to receiving any benefits I earned, it's like pulling teeth. And I know that I am not alone in this 'battle.'

After serving nearly four years proudly in the U.S. Army, I expected to be rewarded with the appropriate benefits. But now, I have to PAY the V.A. for services rendered.

Wait a moment, isn't this supposed to be a BENEFIT for my service? Why do I have to pay for these 'benefits?' I might just as well use the medical services in the community. I would get much better and faster response, instead of having to deal with the tedious layers of bureaucracy that exists within the V.A.

Sounds to me that the V.A. is 'double-dipping.' Having a vet serve in the armed forces, then have them pay for the services/benefits they 'allegedly' earned. What BENEFIT is that?

I am very much aware that I personally am far better off than others in the V.A. system. Look what the V.A. has (not) done for our current troops injured in combat.

Something is radically wrong with this organization and its administration.

Veterans DESERVE much better treatment than we receive now. Call your local federal representative and senator and give them a piece of your mind on my fellow veterans behalf.

THANK YOU!

1 comment:

G.I. Shutter-bug said...

Mike, Mike, you just don't understand proper priorities... For example, MPRI, a private military corporation (PMC) has people in Iraq & Afghanistan doing fluff jobs, video cameramen & media consultants to the Iraqi/Afghan Armies, that aren't vital to the war effort making $150,000 tax free. You fail to realize that the PMCs and military contractors making big money is more important than taking care of honorably discharged veterans!!

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.