Monday, May 11, 2009

Grief is NOT "News"

Last evening I endured watching the evening "news" broadcast from a local television station which was "reporting" on a head-on collision on a nearby highway. Its not the fact that the story was reported that ticks me off, its the issue that I felt that I was a voyeur sitting by and watching and listening to family and friends grieve over the loss of someone close.

I just need simple facts that there was an accident and someone is going to jail. I think that the grieving process is private - not to be displayed on TV just to get ratings. It was sad to watch the boyfriend of the young lady express his emotions in front of the camera.

I could have changed the channel or turned it off entirely. But what struck me the most was the fact that television has sunk to the lowest level of unethical behavior in my book. I don't believe that this type of 'reporting' is taught or even condoned in the halls of journalism school.

It was like watching the electronic version of "The National Enquirer." Sleazy television at the utmost. Why would I want to see someone mourn, with such distress, on a medium that professes to have such high standards of news reporting.

I find it to be disrespectful, revolting, disgusting, and shameful. But apparently at this local news outlet, their slogan is "If it bleeds, it leads."

I wonder how they would feel if it was a member of their family?

= = = = =

Yes, I know the family may have consented to do the interview, during a weak moment, but it didn't have to be broadcast, or even recorded. It is sad that the media has decided to cast all forms of journalistic ethics aside in favor of ratings and dollar signs.

Don't bother me during my time of grief, or you will have a broken camera!

- 0 -

No comments:

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.