Saturday, March 1, 2008

AT&T Help Center - Can't Help!

I called these folks regarding an email I received, shown here:

I have been receiving several of these messages recently, despite the fact that I had implemented their suggested changes MONTHS AGO!

I was beginning to suspect that this was a scam, a spoof, and that I should ignore this communique completely. However, just to be sure, I called AT&T Help to verify the authenticity.
NO ONE could say whether it was from them, or if it was, how to stop receiving them (despite having implementing the changes). I asked what I should do - the (outsourced, with an accent) person replied there was nothing I could do. I asked for the supervisor, got the same response. I asked for a phone number to call regarding this and received the following response, "I cannot give you a number to call."

So, I can expect to continue to receive this annoying message on a regular basis, along with the other 250+ daily pieces of email I get.

Ah, yes; how wonderful it is to have tech support outsourced from a company called AMERICAN Telephone and Telegraph.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If that doesn't beat all. I guess thay'd have you just grin and bear it while continuing to receive their crummy e-mails. Sounds like the folks you talked to were clueless.

Here's Uncle Crotchety's solution: go right to the top. That's right, the presidents of AT&T and Yahoo. Make the top dogs of those companies vividly aware of the nincompoops they've outsourced their customer service departments to.

Keep in mind these high rollers get lots of messages everyday, so you've got to make yours stand out. Here's the plan: everytime you get one of those blasted e-mails, print it out along with a standard letter of complaint explaining the situation. Since these boys operate out of state, it'd be nice to send them a little gift from Michigan along with your written message. I'm thinking a nice garden rock or perhaps a bag of Lake Michigan beach sand would be appreciated - and noticed. Your gift doesn't have to be expensive, just heavy. It's the thought that counts.

Box everything up and address it neatly. This is important - nowhere on the box should your name or return address appear. Apply one, just one and only one first class stamp. Drop it in a mailbox and let the fun begin.

Yep, when it gets to corporate headquarters, they'll have to shell out a couple of bucks in postage due. Keep repeating this process everytime you receive one of their e-mails. Sooner or later your complaints will ruffle a few feathers and get noticed. Either that or they'll go broke paying the freight on your "little gifts".

Good luck and never let it be said that Uncle Crotchety isn't an equall opportunity annoyer.

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.