Saturday, August 23, 2008

"The Moving Wall" comes to West Michigan

"The Moving Wall" a smaller version of The Vietnam Wall in Washington, D.C. travels the United States and on August 21st it came to the Grand Rapids area (Sparta, Michigan to be exact). I had seen it 20 years earlier but didn't know where my buddy's name was located on the wall. This time I did. Panel 48E - Line 31.

Dean and I served with the U.S. Army's 9th Infantry Division near Saigon and at My Tho, in the Mekong Delta. He was killed by a mortar blast on April 6, 1968.

Interestingly enough, I paid my respects at this wall on August 22nd, 2008 - exactly 43 years to the day when I originally was sworn in as a soldier in the U.S. Army.

I made a 'rubbing' of his name, as is the custom of family and friends.

As it was the first time I saw the "Wall" in the late 1980's, I again was overcome with emotion as I faced the "Wall." And this was the 'minature' "Moving Wall." I hope to visit the actual "Wall" in the nation's captitol sometime soon . . . I can't even imagine the emotion I will feel then.

- 0 -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah! its much better,

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.