Saturday, January 12, 2008

A National ID Card?

Shades of George Orwell's "1984." The premise may be good, but the requirement IS BAD!

Next we'll have to have an ID number tattooed on a viewable body part.

I do not like where this is heading, and I don't know if I will be able to refuse to participate. Requiring airline passengers to have an ID card if they want to fly (not that flying is fun anymore) is getting out of hand. If I understand correctly, you will have to prove who you are and where you were born to obtain this ID card. This data will then be entered into a national (large) database (a goldmine for identity thieves).


YIKES!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The option for flying is a passport according to what I saw on TV this morning

Anonymous said...

I'm really surprised that this topic hasn't generated more comment. It's a subject that causes many people a great deal of consternation. It truly is 1984. Surveilance cameras are everywhere; even on traffic signals. I was in a mom and pop novelty store recently and they had cameras tracking my every move. This is a place that sells whoopee cushions for heaven's sake. Where's the threat to national security there?

This brings me to the author's concern over a national I.D. card and the eventual tatooing of serial numbers. I've thought long and hard on this one and here's my idea. Why not issue every American a rubber stamp? The stamp would be a bar code containing all pertinent information: name, address, date and place of birth, shoe size, etc. When you're about to fly, stamp the bar code on the back of your hand. The TSA workers scan your bar code as you're about to board your plane giving them all the info they need. It's quick, simple, and the bar code will wash off in a couple of days.

If this is still too intrusive for you, stamp the bar code on another part of your anatomy, thus allowing you to make a statement as you moon the feds. After all, flying should be fun.

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.