Saturday, January 12, 2008

The practice of PROFESSIONAL Public Relations.

I am sensitive about this issue, as I am proud to say that I was employed in this field for over 20 years. I have the education and the experience to back me up, which does not include my background in radio broadcasting and journalism.

I bring this up as a fiasco has developed with a local and respected corporation which has been alleged to having been involved in a campaign to recall government officials in another part of Michigan. Additionally, a local PR firm may have been behind a letter writing effort to discredit the same local officials.

It is sad to see the blot this might have on the practice of public relations by professionals who abide by the Code of Ethics of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) or others who value integrity and ethical standards in their work.

It is a fact that ANYONE can hang out a shingle saying they are a PR person and carry on with dubious distinction, casting a dark shadow upon true professionals.

I am not making any judgement on this previously mentioned scenario, but let us not make a wholesale comparison of everyone in the public relations profession to those who 'make up their own rules.'

No comments:

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.