Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Press 1 for English . . . . .

I don't think so!

My opinion which follows will no doubt offend someone, but that is NOT my intention - just my personal OPINION. so, here I go . . .


I speak English, I was born here (1946), I am a registered voter (Independent), I am a U.S. Citizen, I am a Veteran, I enlisted in the U.S. Army, I served (PROUDLY) in Vietnam, I lost a friend in combat, I have volunteered my services to several non-profit organizations, I pay taxes, I am retired, I will be collecting Social Security, I pay my healthcare, I am a licensed driver, I have a cell phone, I have several computers, I was gainfully employed, I am a Father and a Step-Father, I have a Sister, I am a member of a Wonderful family.

I AM QUALIFIED!

I Pledge Allegiance to The United States of America. I salute the Flag. I display "Old Glory."


If you do not qualify for at least EIGHT of the above qualifications - DO NOT:

- Tell me you have the right to demand paid healthcare, social security, free education.
- Demand that I cater to your every whim as if you were a legitimate citizen and taxpayer.
- Expect that you can become a licensed driver in MY country.
- Take away a job of a true United States citizen.
- Want services or information provided to you in your language.
- Think that you are eligible to vote in our elections.
- Get married here.
- Bear children here - to become U.S. Citizens by default.

If you want any of these PRIVILEGES:

> LEARN ENGLISH.
> BECOME A CITIZEN.
> GET A JOB.

If you are not willing to comply - to put it bluntly - GO HOME!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Noncitizens are guests here and I don't think it's asking too much to know a little English at the very least. Visiting here does not automatically entitle one to all the benefits we enjoy as citizens. To turn things around, if I were a guest in another country, I'd want to learn at least some of their language and customs so that I could get along and fit in.

Also, when did we become a bilingual nation? Just look at all the signs in English and Spanish. I'm all for learning a second language, but English is the established language here. I hope we don't need a constitutional amendment to clarify this. As the rest of the world is rapidly embracing English as the international language, why are we adopting Spanish?

Anonymous said...

Let's cut to the chase here. It all boils down to one thing: illegal imigration. That's the cause. All the things you're griping about are the effects.

So what do we do? Shore up the border of course, and I'm not talking about the one that seperates us from Canada.

I think the one thing that turns off most folks is that they see something akin to the late great Berlin Wall. I can just here the PC crowd now: "Oooh, that's just sooo tacky." Well I think we need to think on a grander scale. Too bad Walt Disney passed on to that great theme park in the sky. He'd be just the guy to head up this project. He'd give us something larger than life like the Great Wall Of China only with Disneyesque turrets, spires, and colorful dancing lights, and the dad burned thing'd make money too boot.

Think about it. This thing could be one gigantic tourist attraction stretching all the way across our southern border from Mexifornia to Mexas. (I was going to call it Texaco, but that name's taken.)

Uncle Walt would probably put a monorail ride along the top. What a ride that'd be, and think of the revenue it'd bring in. Speaking of revenue, let's put advertising on the side facing Mexico. That's right, double decker billboards (in Spanish, of course) squeezed in as tightly as possible the entire length of the wall.

Yes sir, on our side the great wall would be a stunning thing of beauty and a national monument. What a grand tourist attraction this would be. On their side, a barn burner of a revenue generator. Why we'd be out of hock in no time.

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.