Thursday, February 14, 2008

Size DOES NOT Matter!

(Whoa . . . . I'm not going there!)

In this winter weather to end all winters in West Michigan, I am getting fed up with all the cowboys and their great big honkin' pickup trucks and SUVs tearing down the highways and byways at supersonic speeds when the rest of us sane (and safe) drivers are moving along according to conditions.

Just because you are bigger (and better?) and may have 4-wheel drive and/or several hay bales in your back-end (truck, that is [or maybe not]), doesn't mean that you'll have better traction. Icy conditions do not discriminate by the size or type of vehicle. My compact commuter car can get into as much trouble on the road as the big old snowplows tending to the state and federal roads.

And if you do end up meeting a snowpile suddenly in a big puff of white flakes, well then I pray you are not physically injured, but do suffer from a gigantic case of embarrassment. It serves you right!

By the way, someone I know works in the AAA Trouble callcenter, say Hi when you call to ask for help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"YEE HAH! CLEAR THE ROAD! I'VE GOT FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. I'M INVINCIBLE!!" Yeah, right dimbulb. You can have twenty-seven and a half wheel drive and it won't do you a cat's whisker of good on a slippery road.

Uncle Crotchety's in your corner on this one Mike. These fools who drive 90 miles an hour in a blinding snow storm on ice are a menace to us all. They've got my blood boiling. I say get 'em off the road!

When the missus and I have to be out in bad weather, we take it nice and easy while motoring to our destination in our trusty 1960 Pontiac Bonneville land yacht. About the third time one of these nitwits blows by us going hell bent for election, I deploy my secret weapon.

I found it in an auto parts catalog years ago and it's been worth every last red cent I paid for it. It's called The Decimator. Now this is no ordinary horn, mind you. It's much like what the railroads use on their locomotives only with the oomph of the trumpet that'll herald the Second Coming.

So when one of these durn accident-waiting-to-happen fools goes to pass me, I just give a friendly little blast on The Decimator. Sends him flying into the ditch right then and there. Gives him a chance to reassess his winter driving skills, then use his cell phone for something really useful, like calling a tow truck. He might even want to think about ordering a clean pair of drawers while he's at it.

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.