Saturday, February 16, 2008

Welcome to West Michigan's newest game . . . . POTHOLD DODGE!

New Game for West Michigan


Trying to drive STRAIGHT down any street in Grand Rapids is rapidly becoming a challenge – or a trip through the Grand Canyon (and I had the audacity to believe I would find it located on the Colorado River, not the Grand River).

With Mother Nature being so generous with the flakes (unassembled snowballs/snowmen), she seems to be making up for the last three seasons of minimal snowfall. This results in the budget for the road commissions being rapidly drained - for the purchase of road salt. Consequently, there is less money available for road repair, resulting in vehicles weaving in all sorts of contortions, dodging crevices and chasms in the roadway, and other vehicles as well.

Fasten your seatbelts and get ready for the 'roller coaster' of the Interstate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like most everyone else I'm sick and tired of performing the pothole polka and singing those disappearing pavement blues while motoring. However, I've devised a system that works ninety percent of the time for me.

Where I drive, most of the craters are toward the edge of the lanes. Paved shoulders are still in decent shape, so that's where I drive - at a safe and sane 22MPH. Oh sure, occasionally I shear off a few mailboxes here and there. No biggie. Most of the owners will blame the snowplows.

When no paved shoulder is available, I do the next best thing: drive right down the center of the road. I just line my hood ornament up with the center line, and away we go - again at double deuces, keeping a steady eye out I might add. No sense taking chances. This way my wheels are in the center of both lanes avoiding all those nasty open pit mines toward the edges.

Is this safe? No doubt about it when you're driving a 1960 Pontiac Bonneville prime mover like I do. Yep, that's when Detroit knew how to build cars! Real cars. Solid cars. Not like those wimpy egg crates they call automobiles today.

What about the other motorists? I offer three options: lead, follow, or get out of my way! I'm old and tired and just want to get home and put my feet up.

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.