Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Accessorizing . . . . the Human Body?

My body, although it is greatly imperfect, is fine the way it is other than I have expanded my horizon far beyond what it should be.

But I have reached the point where I have to ponder why one would want to add anything more to it. I am specifically targeting tattoos and body piercings.

Yes, I know earrings for women are considered normal, but earrings on men? What about many earrings on men and women? Nose rings? Tongue piercings? Navel piercings and other locations I'm not about to mention.

The same for tattoos. Some say it is art. But I always considered art to be something you would find in a gallery, museum or a book. Some tattoos are very elaborate and placed in many locations on a body, if not everywhere.

Sure, there is that 'freedom of expression.' But I freely express myself with out either of these methods. Additionally, I have a very low threshold for pain (slivers almost put me into a coma).

I ponder the reason one would subject themselves voluntarily to pain. Similarly I ponder why people would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane in flight.

Obviously none of the above activities are on my agenda at any time - EVER!

What prompted my thoughts is the fact that a local radio station personality had a tattoo applied while on the air!

I'm sorry (no, I'm not) this is not my idea of entertainment.

Nor is the latest onslaught of reality television . . . "Mama's Boys" AAARRRGGHH! But that is another rant for another time.

- 0 -

No comments:

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.