Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Not an End . . . but a new Beginning!

Pictured above is a bracelet I purchased in the middle of July of 2008 to mark the end of the Bush administration . . . 1/20/09. I'd been wearing it since I picked it up in a little gift shop in Interlochen, Michigan near Traverse City. I bought it as I was counting down to the day he would be leaving office. I vowed I wouldn't take it off until then.

Yesterday, when our new President was sworn in at 12 noon, I ripped it off my wrist. At that moment I came to realize that the date embossed on the wristband was not the end of a troubled time, but the START of a NEW ERA, a historic time in the U.S.A.

Rather than toss it away in disgust, I decided to keep it as a reminder of our ability to transfer power and control of the most powerful country in the world, in an orderly and peaceful fashion.

I'm placing it alongside our two P.O.W. bracelets from the 1970's we have on display in the house.

I am truly awed by the significance of the event which transpired in our nation's capitol on 1/20/09.

- 0 -

No comments:

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.