Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Digital TV Transition - Oooops!

Friday, June 12th is the 'Big Day' in television broadcasting, when the station engineers turn off the old analog transmitters with their extensive (and expensive) signal, and officially switch on the new digital transmitters with their energy-efficient, cost-saving and smaller coverage area signal.

Did you get all that? Smaller coverage area?

This basically affects only those viewers who are 'catching' a TV signal with an antenna, not those who are 'wired' up with cable or satellite (supposedly).

I'm certain that there are still people out there who will be affected by this changeover:
  1. Those who cannot comprehend all the information that has been broadcast for over a year.
  2. Those who say . . . "I'm NOT going to change, and you can't make me."
  3. Those who say . . . "It's a government conspiracy to make me get new stuff."
  4. Those who don't believe anything is going to happen.
  5. Those who swallow all the information, believe it will work, and don't change anything.
  6. Those who spend the bucks to get all the 'right' gear, and live outside the new signal area.
I'll be on the road and out of town when this takes place. It will be real interesting to see if my $$$$ hotel is ready for the changeover, as I will be wanting to watch the Red Wings clinch the Stanley Cup Friday night.

I would love to hear all the confused phone calls the TV stations will be getting Friday and for the following days. I'll bet that they will be hum-dingers. That is one job I would not want.

I wish the broadcasters well, and hopes it all works without a hitch . . . . but Murphy's Law will probably prevail in some instances. This will all go down in broadcast history as . . . .

- 0 -

No comments:

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.