Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Here we go again - Postage Increase - Forever!

Since email has cut back on the profits for the Postal Service, they say they are losing money, so it is time once again to raise the rates. It will soon cost us 44 cents (per ounce) to mail a letter.

To avoid paying the extra 2 cents, one can run to the post office window now and purchase the "Forever" stamp for 42 cents each . . . and it can be used 'forever' despite any future rate hikes.

Gee . . . a 'bargain' from the government.

Being a former philatelist I like to use what I consider to be 'attractive' stamps. The Postal Service has in the past come up with some really ugly images for their stamps. The "Forever" stamp is OK . . . not great, but OK. Considering that we can use it 'forever' this means it will be sticking (pun intended) around for some time.

So I guess I'll buy into this 'bargain' and deliver my money to the post office through rain, sleet, snow or hail to save some change.

Why didn't Benjamin Franklin propose the 'forever' stamp back in 1847?

- 0 -

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow.......where have I been. In my own little world I guess. When is postage going up?

The forever stamp sounds like a good idea. Where's the catch??

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.