Friday, February 20, 2009

Military School

No, I wasn't sent to Military School because I was a difficult child. I went because I WANTED TO!

In 8th grade I attended the now closed Barbour Hall Junior Military Academy near Kalamazoo, Michigan operated by the Sisters of Saint Joseph. Yes, it was a Catholic Military School. It was wonderful. I learned a lot.

The primary focus was academics with a secondary focus on a Catholic upbringing; military structure was third.

For high school, I moved on to Marmion Military Academy in Aurora, Illinois where I graduated in 1964. Marmion is run by the Benedictine Monks of Marmion Abbey with a focus on academic preparation for college. I owe them my life! As a result of this experience, I became a survivor. One either makes it in military school, or you are out. I succeeded. I truly had fun in this environment. My grades were 'so-so' but still enough to graduate.

My gratitude to Father Andrew and Father Luke (R.I.P.) and Father Martin (R.I.P.), Father Peter (R.I.P.) and others for the great education they provided me and my fellow cadets.

I must also thank my Saints of parents for offering me this opportunity to grow up. I firmly believe that if I hadn't succeeded in military school, I would not have survived Vietnam and the Army. In military school I learned how the military functions and how to make it 'all you can be.'

I was fortunate and blessed to have received this foundation for my life.

So you see, attending military school isn't all bad. As a matter of fact, I can state that it isn't bad at all. It did wonders for me!

- 0 -

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very nice tribute to your teachers of life. thanks for sharing a part of your life.

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.