Monday, March 2, 2009

Admitted Coke-a-holic


"My name is Mike, and I have been a life-long Coke drinker."


I admit it, I love Coca-Cola. I even have had it in the early morning, even before breakfast.

But now, for health reasons I have stopped. It's been a month since my last Coke.

No, this is not a spoof over the serious consequences of alcoholism. This is a fact that I have been living with for as long as I can remember. I cannot tolerate Pepsi, as it is too sweet for me. Coke is just right for my palate.

Now I have relegated the consumption of a Coca-Cola as a infrequent 'treat' similar to a desert. I no longer have the craving for a Coke as I once did.

I have transitioned to WATER. Water - hard to believe - for me. But with the loving support of my wonderful wife, I now crave a glass full of water and ice cubes. I didn't think that this would be possible for me, as I lust for Coke . . . or did.

I'm not only a Coke drinker, I'm also a Coke collector. Collector of all things Coke. Napkins, shirts, trinkets and even full bottles of Coke. Thanks to my Stepson, Kerry and his wife, Windy, I even have a complete set of Coke trucks, from Speedway Gas.

Taking this step was not at all easy. But I had to - for healthy reasons.

I am prone to Kidney Stones, the experience of which nearly mimics the birth of a child for women . . . PAIN! The chemicals in the cola bean tend to promote the creation of minerals in my kidneys which give me this pleasant sensation . . . PAIN!

I used to consume up to 2 liters of Coke a day in 2001. Now, I have successfully loosened the grip of this addiction on my behavior.

Now, on to Chocolate!

(I in no way wish this post to belittle the seriousness of any addiction to any drug or alcohol.)


- 0 -

No comments:

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.