Saturday, March 7, 2009

Automobile shopping

FORD HAS A BRIGHT IDEA!
I was watching TV the other night when a commercial came on promoting the new 2010 Ford Fusion.

2010?

It's only March of 2009!

I guess someone had the bright idea to skip over the 'bad' shopping year of 2009 and just move on to 2010, like it never happened. HUH? DUH!

With this type of thinking no wonder we have the Detroit auto industry on the verge of collapse.

I just happened in to my local Hyundai ("HUN - DAY" like "sundae") dealer this past week to see their new digs (they just built a new showroom), and to take a peek at the new Genesis Coupe (spiffy car).

Conversing with a salesperson revealed that sales for the Hyundai is up, better than last year.

You see, here is an auto company that builds cars based upon customer demand, not on the idea that the manufacturer 'knows' what the consumer wants and needs.

Not that I am in the market to buy a new car, because our two 2001 Hyundai models are still running great (the Santa Fe SUV now has over 100,000 miles on it) and haven't had any problems other than a few cosmetic issues which were easily fixed. But it is a buyers market now. I'll bet that if you walked into a car showroom with a wad of cash, you would easily be able to get your price. (Give me the money, and I'll check it out).

So I pondered, if the Detroit auto builders do file for bankruptcy, what will happen to all the acres of unsold cars and trucks? Door prizes? Stocking stuffers? Buy one, get one free?

When we do buy another vehicle, it will be a Hyundai - no question.

- 0 -

No comments:

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.