Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mortality . . . Time to Think


Facing my own mortality is easy as I realize each day that I have been fortunate enough to experience yet another day alive. And that is exactly the way I live it . . . Alive!

I make it a point to try and experience each day as if it might be my last. I began that process when I had my heart attack and Quadruple Bypass Surgery in 2001. I realized that as I was being prepped for surgery that I might not survive. I had a long conversation (prayer) with my Lord and Savior, and consequently I had such a peace about me as I was being wheeled into the O.R.

Next week, I'm going to have surgery again, but this time for my right shoulder - repair for my rotator cuff. It's just 'outpatient' but with my medical history, it will be at the hospital. Yes, I am concerned. But am comfortable with any potential outcome.

Adding to this mental discussion is the recent passing of the Mother of a friend of mine, as well as the death of a local radio personality, Rick Beckett; and national commentator Paul Harvey. The last two are of interest to me because of my nearly ten year stint in radio broadcasting.

Considering all the above, I ensure that I make known my feelings for those close to me: my lovely wife and my beautiful daughter; as well as all those family and friends who are dear to me (enemies - if there are any - I pray for).

I have been richly blessed in my nearly 63 years of life. And what a life it has been - Wow! I have had the opportunity to be involved in several very interesting and enjoyable careers. I have experienced many life-changing events, good and bad. I consider myself to have been successful in many areas of life. I am a part of a large and wonderful family. I have been many places, have met many people and seen many sights and locations. I "survived" the Vietnam War!

I hope I'm not yet done.

All of this has prompted me to compile my own "Bucket List" of things I would like to accomplish prior to my departure from this life. The idea came from the movie of the same name. Those of you who can check off some items that are on my list - count your blessings.

So, here is my list, in no particular order. If any of you would like to join me . . . the more the merrier.

MIKE'S "BUCKET LIST"

Travel the country by train.
Visit the Grand Canyon.
Visit the National Parks.
Return to Vietnam.
Own a Gold coin.
Own a share of Apple stock.
See the stock market reach 15,000.
Invest in the Bank of Sealy Posturepedic.
Live to see world peace.
Visit Ireland.
Visit the Vietnam Wall.
Spend a month in Hawaii.
Build a Media Center PC.
Build a HackInTosh / FrankenMac.
Drive a Hummer for a weekend.
Tour the Pentagon.
Lose 50+ pounds.
Set up a home server network.
Have my own basement office in a separate room.
Organize my work area with a work bench.
Landscape the back yard.
Change the garage entrance 90 degrees and finish it off.
Create a master bedroom suite.
Live to be a happy, healthy 100.
Same as above, but with my lovely wife, soulmate and love of my life, Mary.
See the Empire State Building.
Visit Apple Computer, Cupertino, California.
Meet President Barack Obama.
Own an RCA 77DX microphone.
Finish kitchen remodeling.
Learn ballroom dancing.
Have a car with an iPod connection.
See the Western U.P.
Take Mary to New Orleans.
See Mardi Gras.
Return to Shenandoah/Blue Ridge Mountains.
Return to Colorado.
Take a Caribbean cruise.
See more Broadway Musicals.
Travel to all 50 states.
Visit Ellis Island.
Spend a week at Disney World.
See Andi cured of Cancer.
Live to see a cure for Alzheimer’s Disease.
Live in peace and harmony.
Die in my sleep.
Be granted 3 wishes.

Well, let's see what I am able to check off as life goes on.

The last item would be very interesting.

- 0 -

No comments:

About Me

My photo
A retired former public relations practitioner, radio broadcaster, professional photographer, electronics geek and a Vietnam Vet.